Initially you need to understand the basic criterion of these Medicare supplement plans which are specifically designed to supplement the original Medicare coverage. These plans work seamlessly to cover up the gap between the Medicare coverage and out of pocket payments. Now quite inevitably you need to own a Medicare Policy in order to be eligible on the first stand for Medicare supplement plans. Therefore, primarily you need to enroll for either Plan A or Plan B in order to be able to be able to eligible for supplement plans. It is essential since Supplement plans cannot work lone and offer your medical coverage; they just offer supplementary advantage over your Original Medicare coverage.
The criterions for being eligible to avail the facilities of Medicare supplement plans differ from state to state. Basically, in most of the States, you need to be 65 years of age as the beneficiary of the plan to avail its facilities. However, if you are under 65 as the beneficiary and if you are suffering from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, any disability or even end stage of any renal disease, your eligibility can differ accordingly to the state where you reside.
- The time you reach 65 you are able to enroll for a Medicare and accordingly you are also eligible as well as permitted to take the benefits of Medigap plans for 2019 as well by taking up one policy from amongst the range of 10 available policies.
- Immediately after you enroll for a Medicare policy and you become eligible for a supplement plan you are offered a one time opportunity to take up any Medigap plan with health interrogations as per the Open Enrollment period benefits.
- This open enrollment period starts immediately as you enroll for a Medicare Part B plan and last for up to six months.
- The best part about the advantage of this open enrollment time is that no company can turn you down from enrolling for a supplement plan, even you have pre-existing medical conditions and health issues.
- However, once this open enrollment period is over you need to answer the relevant questions of the Medigap companies for a policy, and you can also be turned down.
Therefore, the open enrollment period enhances your credibility and your benefits of availing Medicare supplement plans all the more. Besides, this there are certain government regulated limitations in few states, therefore before enrolling for any policy adhere to your state terms.